St. Paul's Presbyterian Church, Burlington

Ministry

Events

Over the course of the year we hold a number of events for the church and the surrounding community. Some are held annually, others on a monthly basis. Below are some brief details on a number of these events.

Jean Gordon Auxiliary

The Jean Gordon Auxiliary was established in 1890 when the Ladies Aid and Women's Missionary Society combined under the new name to honour Jean Gordon, a young missionary from the congregation who served in Lahore, India. They are a dedicated group who meet on the first Thursday of each month and enjoy friendship and fellowship. All are welcome to join.

Women's Bible Study

Occurring biannually, the Women's Bible Study is held Wednesday mornings in the library and is open to all women in the church and the community. One of the most popular studies we do are the Beth Moore Bible Studies.

Evening Bible Study

Occurring Biannually, this is an eight-week study on a specific passage from the Bible. The study is open to everyone in the church and the community, and generally one is not required to attend every session in order to follow along.

Soup and Bun Lunch

Held once in the the fall, the Soup and Bun Lunch occurs after the Sunday service for all to enjoy a time of fellowship.

Spaghetti and Euchre Night

A spring event, the Spaghetti and Euchre Night is a great time of fun and fellowship. A common mis-assumption, attendees are not required to participate in the Euchre games after the meal is finished.

Collectables and Valuables Auction

Held annually in October, the Collectables and Valuables Auction showcases pieces for sale that have been collected throughout the year from estate sales and donations. It is a well attended event run by one of our elders and usually auctioneered by Patrick Doherty.

History

Written by Mary Becker: Church Historian

Our story begins much before the construction of the first church building in 1822, with the arrival in Upper Canada of immigrants from Great Britain and Europe. The people also spilled in from the south at the border, as United Empire Loyalists came in search of fertile land grants in Nelson Township, on the newly build Dundas Street. Once here, the task fell to the newcomers to hew out their homes from the unbroken wilderness, slaving to cut down trees and pull up stumps, clearing the land for a farm to be built and planting their crops before the harsh winter came. All the while they risked disease, cold, failed crops, and loneliness.

Much has been written about the privations and perseverance of thos early pioneers, but most people will agree that God was also in the wilderness, and the people were truly faithful in their devotion of Him. In those early years, around 1816, the settlers met in Hugh McLaren's barn where the Reverend William Jenkins from Scarborough, in York County, came to preach. Winters in Upper Canada were very harsh and the barn was draughty, so the people organized a congregation and set about to build the first church. The Bastedo and Calvert families donated lots 12 and 13, parcels of acreage from the corners of their 200-acre land grants, for the building of a white frame church. This building stood a little east of the present-day old St. Paul's, with land for a cemetery abutting it. No drawings or tintype photo of the white frame church has ever been found. As was the sad reality and a very common occurrence within the harsh winter environment of pioneer life, the Bastedo family lost a baby daughter during those early years and her grave is one of the first in St. Paul's Cemetery. We can all learn so much about our history by walking through the peaceful grounds of the adjoining cemetery, which is also the resting place of a soldier who fought in the Battle of 1812, as well as countless early ancestors from present-day members of our congregation and community. Some of those names include: Dryden, Featherstone, Gunby, Heslop, Hunter, Irving and Marshall.

Copyright 2017 by St. Paul's Presbyterian Church, Burlington  |  Powered by: Churchweb Canada